Old City Hall, 1890
Old, old City Hall: Toronto may be the only city on the continent to have three city halls still standing. Everyone's familiar with the "old" and "new" city halls at Queen and Bays Sts. which have served the civic needs from 1899 to 1965 and from 1965 to the present. But few realize that
substantial portions of the previous city hall, shown above as it was in 1890, can still be seen at the southwest corner of Front and Jarvis Sts. Now incorporated into the South St. Lawrence market, architect Henry Lane's structure was built in 1844-45 for $52,000 and was the city hall until 1899. A
close look at the Front St. facade of today's market reveals the two arched entrances and the eight second- and third-storey windows where the city's Market Gallery is located.